Renovating means adapting a building or construction to modern needs.
Works carried out in the course of renovations may be divided into:
- overhauling, in the course of which the building is renovated into the state it was when new;
- extensive additions (perusparannus in Finnish) or additions (reconstructing the building, additions to fixtures and systems etc.) which improve the environment in the building;
- upgrading, in the course of which the division of space or fixtures are changed;
- extending the building to increase its surface area;
- conservation for improving its preservation;
- restoration for maintaining, restoring or improving the architecture and appearance;
- preconstruction, i.e. constructing a new building on the basis of remaining details or documents.